PET Team Foundation Server Tool Provider - Template Documentation
This page describes the structure and content of a template for the PET Team Foundation Server tool provider (TFS TP). To easily understand all the given descriptions please refer to the example template (pluginData\tfs\template_de
) from the Codeplex
Template configuration file
The most important part of a template for the TFS TP is the TemplateConfig.xml
. It contains the template's meta data as well as information about the processing steps the TFS TP has to execute. This section will briefly explain the template configuration's
structure and content.
The template's meta information is contained in separate nodes, located in
. The supported information nodes are:
- Name: Name of the template as displayed in the provider's configuration.
- TfsVersion: TFS version this template is intended for. Possible values are
2005, 2008 and 2010.
- TfsLanguage: Language code of the TFS installation language this template is intended for. E.g.
en for English.
- TextResourcesFile: Location of the language resource file relative to the template path. See section
Language resources file.
- TemplateFolder: Folder of the TFS process template to be transformed by the TFS TP. Path is to be relative to the template path.
Note, that the meta information is not copied to the template generated by the TFS TP.
Template Generation Tasks
The heart of the template configuration file is the /TfsTemplateConfig/Tasks
node and its
child nodes. They describe the modifications of the TFS process template, that need to be made by the TFS TP. Each
node must have three attributes:
- folder: Relative folder of the TFS task file to be modified.
- file: Name of the TFS task file to be modified.
- type: Modification type used for this file. See below.
The following sections elaborate on the four modification types the TFS TP supports:
Task Type: classification
- classification: Modifies TFS tasks handled by the TFS plugin Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Classification.
- groups: Modifies Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Groups tasks.
- portal: Responsible SharePoint portal tasks handled by the Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Portal plugin.
- workitemtracking: Modified work item tracking tasks handled by Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.WorkItemTracking.
The template modification task classification
writes the project lifecycle structure. It searches a
node beneath the node <Node StructureType="ProjectLifecycle" [...]>
node within the specified TFS task file to be modified and writes the (possibly hierarchical) project structure. For details see
. If the
node cannot be found the template modification is aborted with an
Task Type: groups
Task Type: portal
Task Type: workitemtracking
Language resources file
The language resource file is a .resources
file, compiled by resgen.exe
. It contains four string resources, used by the PET TP to form the iteration path of a work item:
- IterationPath_Initiation: Project initiation.
- IterationPath_Execution: Development.
- IterationPath_Closing: Project closing.
- IterationPath_Iteration: Iteration.
A iteration path is then formed by concatenating the needed resources. E.g. $$PROJECTNAME$$\IterationPath_Execution\IterationPath_Iteration 2
- package SP template
- include TFS linker if necessary